مجلة لندن

مجلة لندن

تأسست مجلة London Magazine في عام 1820 على يد جون سكوت (1783-1821) كمنافس لـ مجلة جنتلمان. كانت مجلة غير سياسية ركزت على عالم الأدب. دافع سكوت عن أعمال الكتاب الشباب مثل ويليام وردزورث وتشارلز لامب ولي هانت وويليام هازليت وتوماس كارلايل.

في عام 1821 اتهم سكوت مجلة منافسة ، مجلة بلاكوودمن القذف. تحدى ممثل المجلة ، جي إتش كريستي ، سكوت في مبارزة. قبل سكوت وتوفي نتيجة الجروح التي أصيب بها أثناء القتال. استمرت سياسة سكوت في دعم الكتاب الشباب في عهد بديله جون تايلور (1781-1864).

في أوائل القرن العشرين مجلة لندن وظفت بعضًا من كبار رسامي الكاريكاتير في بريطانيا بما في ذلك فرانك رينولدز وهنري إم بروك وإتش إم بيتمان ولويس بومر.


بدأه جيمس سيلك باكنغهام عام 1828 ، وتم بيعه في غضون أسابيع قليلة إلى فريدريك موريس وجون ستيرلنج ، اللذين أخفقا في جعله مربحًا. في عام 1829 ، أصبح تشارلز وينتورث ديلكه مالكًا ومحررًا جزئيًا ، ووسع تأثير المجلة بشكل كبير. في عام 1846 ، استقال من هيئة التحرير وتولى رئاسة التحرير أخبار يومية لندن ، لكنه ساهم بسلسلة من المقالات البارزة في أثينيوم. خلف الشاعر والناقد توماس كيبل هيرفي ديلك كمحرر وخدم من عام 1846 حتى استقالته بسبب اعتلال صحته عام 1853. خلف المؤرخ والرحالة ويليام هيبورث ديكسون هيرفي في عام 1853 ، وظل محررًا حتى عام 1869.

كان جورج دارلي ناقدًا للموظفين خلال السنوات الأولى ، وساهم جيرالد ماسي بالعديد من المراجعات الأدبية - بشكل رئيسي حول الشعر - خلال الفترة من 1858 إلى 1868. ساهم ثيودور واتس دونتون بانتظام بصفته الناقد الرئيسي للشعر من عام 1875 حتى عام 1898. فريدريك جورج ستيفنز كان محررًا فنيًا من عام 1860 حتى عام 1901 ، عندما حل محله روجر فراي بسبب رفضه غير المألوف للانطباعية ، استمر ستيفنز في المساهمة بمراجعات الكتب ونعيها حتى عام 1904. انضم آرثر سيمونز إلى طاقم العمل في عام 1891.

محرر من 1871 إلى 1900 كان نورمان ماكول. [1] خلال القرن التاسع عشر ، كان أثينيوم تلقى مساهمات من اللورد كلفن. خلال أوائل القرن العشرين ، كان من بين المساهمين فيها ماكس بيربوم ، إدموند بلوندن ، تي إس إليوت ، روبرت جريفز ، توماس هاردي ، ألدوس هكسلي ، جوليان هكسلي ، كاثرين مانسفيلد ، جورج سانتايانا ، إديث سيتويل ، وفيرجينيا وولف.

من عام 1849 إلى عام 1880 ، ساهم جيرالدين يهودسبري بأكثر من 2300 تقييمًا. كانت واحدة من عدد قليل جدًا من النساء اللائي راجعن أثينيوم وبدأت في تقديم مراجعاتها بانتظام بحلول عام 1854 ، وقد صنفت بدرجة عالية الروايات التي أظهرت أخلاقيات الشخصية وكانت أيضًا مسلية. وانتقدت موضوع "المرأة الساقطة" الذي كان شائعًا في الأدب الفيكتوري. خلال النصف الثاني من خمسينيات القرن التاسع عشر ، تم تكليف يهودسبري بتحرير قسم "الروايات الجديدة". [2]

خطاب من جي إس كوتون ، ورد أنه طُبع خلال عام 1905 ، يروي بشكل قاطع أول إشارة على الإطلاق إلى لعب مباراة كريكيت في الهند. [ بحاجة لمصدر ]

في عام 1921 ، مع تناقص التداول ، تم إصدار أثينيوم تم دمجها في منافستها الأصغر سنًا: أمة، يصبح الأمة و Athenaeum. في عام 1931 ، اندمج هذا المنشور اللاحق مع دولة دولة جديدة، لتشكيل دولة دولة جديدة وأمة، القضاء على الاسم أثينيوم بعد 97 سنة.

  1. ^ مورفي ، جي مارتن. "ماكول ، نورمان". قاموس أكسفورد للسيرة الوطنية (محرر عبر الإنترنت). مطبعة جامعة أكسفورد. دوى: 10.1093 / المرجع: odnb / 34689. (يلزم الاشتراك أو عضوية المكتبة العامة في المملكة المتحدة.)
  2. ^
  3. فريكستيدت ، مونيكا كوريا (1986). مراجعات "أثينايوم" لجيرالدين يهودسبري: مرآة لمواقف منتصف العصر الفيكتوري تجاه الرواية. ستوكهولم: Almqvist Och Wiksell.
  • ديمور ، ماريسا ، نصيبهم العادل: النساء ، والسلطة ، والنقد في أثينا ، من Millicent Garrett Fawcett إلى كاثرين مانسفيلد ، 1870-1920. ألدرشوت: أشجيت ، 2000. 978-0-7546-0118-0
  • جراهام ، والتر جيمس ، "The Athenaeum" ، "الدوريات الأدبية الإنجليزية". نيويورك: تي نيلسون ، 1930 ، ص 317 - 21.
  • هانكوك بوليو ، ميشلين هولاند ، سوزان (1991). "الفهرسة الأثينيوم: الأهداف والصعوبات "(PDF). المفهرس. 17 (3): 167–172.
  • مارشاند ، ليزلي أ. "The Athenaeum: مرآة للثقافة الفيكتورية". تشابل هيل: مطبعة جامعة نورث كارولينا ، 1941.
  • سوليفان ، ألفين ، محرر ، "The Athenaeum" ، "المجلات الأدبية البريطانية. المجلد 3". ويستبورت ، كونيتيكت: Greenwood Press ، 1983 - ، ص 21 - 24.

الأثينيوم تحرير على الإنترنت

تقريبًا جميع أحجام ملفات الأثينيوم متوفرة على الإنترنت.

السنوات 1828-1879 وسنوات معينة بين 1880 و 1921 متاحة مجانًا.

ل حقوق النشر أسباب السنوات الأخرى متاحة جزئيًا فقط في بلدان معينة.


بقايا جسر لندن القديم

كان هناك العديد من التناسخات لجسر لندن منذ العبور الروماني الأصلي في عام 50 بعد الميلاد. أشهرها وأطولها كان جسر القرون الوسطى "القديم" ، الذي انتهى عام 1209 في عهد الملك جون.

لأكثر من 600 عام ، كان هذا الجسر هو نقطة العبور الرئيسية لنهر التايمز في لندن ، حيث كان ينقل الأشخاص والبضائع والماشية عبر النهر. مع المحلات التجارية والمنازل والكنائس والبوابة ، كانت سمة مميزة لمدينة لندن.

لسوء الحظ ، بحلول أوائل القرن التاسع عشر ، ظهر على الجسر علامات خطيرة على البلى. على الرغم من أن المباني التي كانت تزين قمتها قد هُدمت منذ فترة طويلة ، إلا أن المعبر كان لا يزال ضيقًا للغاية وكانت الأقواس التي تدعم الجسر عائقًا خطيرًا للسفن التي تمر تحته.

جسر لندن القديم من العصور الوسطى مع كنيسة سانت ماغنوس ذا مارتر & # 8217 على اليسار. المنطقة المحاطة بالدائرة هي المدخل القديم للمشاة والذي لا يزال قائما حتى يومنا هذا.

لذلك تقرر في عام 1799 أنه ينبغي بناء جسر جديد أكبر مكانه. لتقليل أي اضطراب في حركة المرور ، كان من المقرر بناء الجسر الجديد على بعد 30 مترًا من المعبر القديم ، وبالتالي السماح لجسر العصور الوسطى بالعمل حتى تم افتتاح الأخير في عام 1831.

بمجرد اكتمال ذلك ، تم تفكيك الجسر القديم بسرعة وفقده في سجلات التاريخ.

في الواقع ، هناك عدد قليل من البقايا الباقية لجسر لندن القديم ، وواحد منها تم بناؤه في برج كنيسة سانت ماغنوس ماريتر في شارع التايمز السفلي.

مدخل المشاة اليوم.

البقية المحددة المعنية هي الممر الموجود أسفل البرج نفسه ، ومن عام 1763 حتى زوال جسر لندن القديم في عام 1831 ، كان هذا الممر هو المدخل الرئيسي للمشاة على الجسر. لا بد أن مئات الآلاف - إن لم يكن الملايين - من الناس قد مروا عبرها ، وعبروا من مدينة لندن إلى ساوثوارك والعكس بالعكس.

كان وصول المركبات إلى جسر لندن القديم إلى الجانب الغربي من برج الكنائس ، وبالتالي سيكون أحد أكثر أقسام الطرق ازدحامًا في لندن. في الوقت الحاضر ، يتم تقاسم المنطقة بين فناء الكنائس ومبنى المكاتب غير الملهم إلى حد ما.

بقايا جسر لندن القديم في ساحة الكنيسة رقم 8217.

ومع ذلك ، هناك المزيد! إذا نظرت بعناية في فناء الكنيسة & # 8217s ، فسترى مجموعة من الحجارة الكبيرة ، غير الموسومة ، ويبدو أنها بلا هدف. هذه الحجارة هي في الواقع بقايا جسر لندن القديم في العصور الوسطى ، وبشكل أكثر تحديدًا أجزاء من القوس الشمالي.

يوجد أيضًا داخل ممر البرج ، قطعة من رصيف روماني قديم يعود تاريخه إلى 75 بعد الميلاد. تم العثور عليها في فيش ستريت هيل المجاور في عام 1931 ، توضح مدى تحرك ضفاف نهر التايمز على مدى 2000 عام.


1. المقيم | مجلة لكجري لايف ستايل في لندن

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة The Resident هي مجلة نمط الحياة الفاخرة لسكان لندن. اكتشف أشياء جديدة يمكنك رؤيتها والقيام بها وتناولها كل أسبوع في لندن ، بالإضافة إلى مقابلات المشاهير ، والديكورات الداخلية ، ومقالات السفر ونمط الحياة. تكرر 5 مشاركات / أسبوع مجلة مقيم. co.uk
معجبين فيسبوك 44.6 ألف ⋅ متابعو تويتر 9.6 ألف متابع إنستغرام 6.7 ألف ⋅ سلطة المجال 54 ⓘ ⋅ تصنيف أليكسا 607.8 ألف ⓘ عرض أحدث المنشورات ⋅ الحصول على بريد إلكتروني جهة اتصال

2. مجلة لندن

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة مجلة لندن هي أقدم دورية أدبية في إنجلترا ، يعود تاريخها إلى عام 1732. وهي مستمرة في نشر أفضل كتابات من لندن والعالم بأسره. يحتوي على قراءة لا ينبغي تفويتها لأي شخص مهتم بالأدب والثقافة والأفكار. تكرر 4 مشاركات / أسبوع مجلة thelondonmagazine.org
Social Engagement 5 ⓘ ⋅ Domain Authority 44 ⓘ ⋅ Alexa Rank 2.4M ⓘ عرض أحدث المشاركات ⋅ الحصول على جهة اتصال عبر البريد الإلكتروني

3. إطلاقا. لندن - أنيقة وذكية وأنيقة

عن المجلة بالتأكيد لندن هي دليلك النهائي للعيش الفاخر في العاصمة. من أفضل المأكولات والمشروبات والأزياء والجمال إلى المناسبات الحصرية. تكرر 2 مشاركة / الأسبوع ايضا في مدونات لندن لايف ستايل مجلة إطلاقا. لندن
معجبو Facebook 4.6K ⋅ متابعو Twitter 9.7K ⋅ Instagram Followers 38.8K ⋅ Domain Authority 32 ⓘ ⋅ Alexa Rank 1M ⓘ عرض أحدث المنشورات ⋅ احصل على جهة اتصال عبر البريد الإلكتروني

4. مجلة قلب لندن | تقاسم شريحة من لندن لايف

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة تم إنشاء مجلة Heart London Magazine لمساعدتك على تحقيق أقصى استفادة من لندن والاستمتاع بجزء من London Life. نقدم لك مراجعات حول المنتجات الجديدة ، ونصائح حول مكان تناول الطعام وأين تشرب في لندن ، والرحلات الممتعة في عطلة نهاية الأسبوع ، والأشياء المثيرة التي يمكنك القيام بها في مدينة لندن الجميلة. تكرر 2 مشاركة / الأسبوع مجلة heartlondonmagazine.com
معجبين فيسبوك 4.3K ⋅ متابعو Twitter 988 ⋅ تفاعل اجتماعي 1 ⓘ ⋅ Domain Authority 24 ⓘ ⋅ عرض أحدث المنشورات ⋅ الحصول على بريد إلكتروني جهة اتصال

5. أزياء أن تذهب | مجلة الموضة والجمال ونمط الحياة لندن الرقمية

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة انضم إلى FASHION-TO-GO في رحلة عبر عالم الموضة والأناقة والجمال! تعرف على أحدث الأخبار واتجاهات عروض الأزياء وأنماط المشاهير وأحدث الملحقات وأسرار الجمال والتصميم الداخلي في مكان واحد. تكرر 1 مشاركة / ربع ايضا في مجلات الموضة مجلة fashiontogo-ftg.com
معجبين على Facebook 3.4K ⋅ متابعو Twitter 58 ⋅ Instagram Followers 3.7K Social Engagement 4 ⓘ ⋅ Domain Authority 24 ⓘ ⋅ عرض أحدث المنشورات ⋅ احصل على جهة اتصال عبر البريد الإلكتروني

6. سلوان! المجلة | مجلة لاكشري لايف ستايل لسكان لندن.

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة مجلة نمط الحياة الفاخرة لسكان لندن. يوفر الاحتمالات والخيارات والاختيار لقرائه. احصل على مقابلات المشاهير ، ونصائح الخبراء ، ومراجعات الصحة والعافية ، أو لتكون أول من يسمع عن أحدث المسابقات وأروع الأماكن لتناول المشروبات والعشاء في المملكة المتحدة وأكثر من ذلك بكثير. تكرر 5 مشاركات / أسبوع ايضا في مجلات الحياة الفاخرة في المملكة المتحدة مجلة sloanmagazine.com
معجبو Facebook 279.1K ⋅ متابعو Twitter 13.5K ⋅ Instagram Followers 75.1K ⋅ Domain Authority 41 ⓘ ⋅ Alexa Rank 4.1M ⓘ عرض أحدث المنشورات ⋅ احصل على جهة اتصال عبر البريد الإلكتروني

7. مجلة TNT

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة تغطي مجلة TNT مجموعة من الموضوعات بما في ذلك تقديم المشورة بشأن الحياة في لندن ، والترفيه ، وأدلة السفر ، والأخبار ، والوظائف ، والمسابقات. لقد كانت مجلة مفضلة للمسافرين الذين يعيشون أو يخططون للبقاء في المملكة المتحدة ويخططون للسفر إلى إحدى دول العالم تكرر 2 مشاركة / الأسبوع مجلة tntmagazine.com
معجبو Facebook 22K ⋅ متابعو Twitter 11.6K ⋅ Domain Authority 63 ⋅ تصنيف Alexa 504.9K عرض أحدث المشاركات ⋅ احصل على بريد إلكتروني جهة اتصال

8. ليتل لندن

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة Little London هو دليلك النهائي للأبوة والأمومة بأسلوب يتميز بنصائح السفر والنصائح التعليمية وأفكار الحفلات والوصفات والمزيد تكرر مشاركة واحدة / أسبوع مجلة littlelondonmagazine.co.uk
معجبو Facebook 2.1K ⋅ Twitter Followers 6.8K ⋅ Instagram Followers 12K Social Engagement 1 ⋅ Domain Authority 44 ⋅ عرض أحدث المنشورات ⋅ الحصول على بريد إلكتروني جهة اتصال

9. الشعر لندن

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة Poetry London هي مجلة شعرية دولية رائدة حيث يشارك الشعراء المعاصرون المشهورون صفحات بأسماء جديدة ومثيرة. تكرر 10 مشاركات / شهر مجلة poetrylondon.co.uk
معجبين فيسبوك 9.5 ألف ⋅ متابعو تويتر 35.1 ألف متابع إنستغرام 2.8 ألف ⋅ سلطة المجال 41 ⋅ عرض أحدث المنشورات ⋅ الحصول على بريد إلكتروني جهة اتصال

10. مجلة بيزنس دايجست

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة تعد مجلة Business Digest مركزًا للمعرفة للشركات الناشئة الصغيرة. نتحدى الوضع الراهن بمحتوى تحفيزي يغطي آخر أخبار الأعمال والحلول العملية البسيطة والرؤى والمشورة المتعمقة بالإضافة إلى قصص نجاح الأعمال الواقعية. تكرر مشاركة واحدة / أسبوع ايضا في مدونات الأعمال في المملكة المتحدة ، مجلات الأعمال ، مجلات الأعمال في المملكة المتحدة مجلة bestbusinessdigest.com/blog
معجبين Facebook 730 ⋅ متابعو Twitter 14.7K ⋅ Instagram Followers 8.6K Social Engagement 31 ⋅ Domain Authority 9 ⋅ عرض أحدث المنشورات ⋅ الحصول على بريد إلكتروني جهة اتصال

11. مجلة بروبرتي لندن

لندن ، إنجلترا ، المملكة المتحدة عن المجلة Property London هي مجلة رقمية تعرض منازل ملهمة للبيع في لندن والمناطق المحيطة بها. يبقيك PL على اطلاع دائم بأحدث الصفقات والحوافز الحكومية ، مثل المساعدة في الشراء والملكية المشتركة. إلى جانب آخر الأخبار ، تنشر PL المراجعات والإلهام والأفكار لإنشاء منزل جديد مذهل! تكرر 3 مشاركات / أسبوع ايضا في مدونات العقارات في المملكة المتحدة مجلة Propertyylondon.co.uk
معجبين Facebook 4.6K ⋅ متابعو Twitter 125 ⋅ Domain Authority 3 ⋅ عرض أحدث المنشورات ⋅ الحصول على جهة اتصال عبر البريد الإلكتروني



في عام 2019 ، أمضى مصور السفر كريستوفر ويلتون ستير أربعة أشهر في تعقب طريق الحرير ، طريق التجارة التاريخي. على مدى أربعة أشهر ، سافر 40 ألف كيلومتر براً بالسيارة ، والحافلة ، والقطار ، والعبّارة ، والخيول ، والجمال ، وعبر ستة عشر دولة. بدأ رحلته من King’s Cross في لندن ، حيث يقام العرض (8 أبريل 2021 حتى 16 يونيو).

يتألف المعرض ، الذي ترعاه مؤسسة الآغا خان ويقدم بالشراكة مع King’s Cross ، من أكثر من 160 صورة. طريق الحرير: تاريخ حي يأخذ المشاهد في رحلة من لندن إلى بكين ، حيث يلتقي بالعديد من الأشخاص والأماكن والثقافات على طول طريق التجارة القديم. يخلق التصميم الخطي للمعرض مسارًا ماديًا للمشاهد ، مما يتيح لهم فرصة السفر بالوكالة. مع إغلاق صالات العرض بسبب الإغلاق ، فإن هذا المعرض الخارجي - الذي يسمح بالتباعد الاجتماعي - يقدم للزوار تحفيزًا ثقافيًا في وقت كنا فيه جوعًا. مجلة لندن التقى كريستوفر عشية العرض لمعرفة المزيد.

الدراويش المولوية في بيوغلو ، اسطنبول. مصدر الصورة كريستوفر ويلتون ستير وشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية

لماذا قمت بهذه الرحلة لاكتشاف طريق الحرير؟

كانت هذه رحلة حلمت بها منذ الصغر. بالنسبة لي ، إنها الرحلة النهائية. شخص سافر وكُتب عنه لآلاف السنين. أخبرت نفسي ذات يوم أنني & # 8217 سأذهب. أدركت أنني كنت أنتظر هذا & # 8216 يوم واحد & # 8217 لبعض الوقت. لذلك ، خوفًا من أن تفلتني الفرصة ، بدأت في التخطيط لها. كنت أرغب في السفر من أحد طرفي أوراسيا إلى الطرف الآخر عبر البر لأنني أردت تجربة وتوثيق التحولات بين الثقافات. عندما نسافر إلى مكان ما نصل إلى الوجهة وتختلف جميع جوانب الحياة. من خلال السفر عبر البر ، كنت آمل في فهم المزيد عن أوجه التشابه بين الثقافات المختلفة ومعرفة المزيد حول ما يربطنا.

كان الغرض من هذه الرحلة ، بالإضافة إلى إثارة فضول شخصي ، هو إنشاء معرض يسمح للناس بالسير من أحد طرفي أوراسيا إلى الطرف الآخر من خلال الصور ، واستكشاف بعض عجائب طريق الحرير (خاصة العالم الإسلامي) ، التعرف على تاريخها وحول بعض الروابط بين الثقافات المختلفة التي تقع تحت السطح.

رعي الخيول في قيرغيزستان. مصدر الصورة كريستوفر ويلتون ستير وشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية

من بين البلدان التي قمت بزيارتها ، ما هي أبرز معالم رحلتك؟

لقد زرت العديد من البلدان في هذه الرحلة من قبل ، لذلك عندما وصلت إلى باكستان وطاجيكستان ، على سبيل المثال ، كنت أعرف القليل مما أتوقعه. أحب المناطق الجبلية ، لذلك كان من دواعي سروري العودة إلى جبال بامير في طاجيكستان وسلسلة جبال الهيمالايا وكاراكورام وهندو كوش في باكستان. كان النطاق الملحمي للجبال بمثابة تذكير مرحب به لمكاننا في العالم والاحترام الذي يجب أن نحظى به العالم الطبيعي. من بين البلدان التي زرتها لأول مرة ، إيران وقيرغيزستان ، استمتعت بزيارتهما بشكل كبير. إيران للطعام والشعب والفن الإسلامي الآسر والتراث المعماري. وقيرغيزستان لثقافة الخيول والمساحات المفتوحة الواسعة والسلاسل الجبلية التي جعلتها تشعر بالأرض قبل الأوان.

إلى جانب الوكالات الأخرى لشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية ، كانت مؤسسة الآغا خان - وهي منظمة خيرية - نشطة في آسيا الوسطى منذ ما يقرب من 30 عامًا ، ولمدة قرن تقريبًا في الهند وباكستان. خلال هذا الوقت ، وجهت شبكة الآغا خان للتنمية استثمارات كبيرة في التنمية الاقتصادية والاجتماعية والثقافية لوسط وجنوب آسيا مع تعزيز التعددية وتمكين المرأة بشكل أساسي لهذه الجهود. لذا ، فإن العمل الذي نقوم به في هذه المناطق مرئي.

على الحدود بين أفغانستان وطاجيكستان ، قمت بزيارة جسر فانج العابر للحدود وهو واحد من ستة جسور شيدتها مؤسسة الآغا خان للمساعدة في تحسين الاتصال بين هاتين المنطقتين المرتبطتين تاريخياً. تسمح الاتفاقيات المبرمة بين الحكومات المعنية للتجار ببيع البضائع في أسواق مخصصة بشكل خاص على أحد جانبي الجسور أو كلاهما. يمكن للأفغان أيضًا عبور هذه الجسور لتلقي الرعاية الصحية الحرجة مما يوفر لهم رحلة طويلة وشاقة عبر الجبال إلى أقرب مستشفى أفغاني.

الجسور العابرة للحدود من أفغانستان إلى طاجيكستان. مصدر الصورة كريستوفر ويلتون ستير وشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية

في غرب قيرغيزستان ، التقيت بمزارع فواكه وخضروات يُدعى كريمكول. كجزء من عملها في مجال الأمن الغذائي ، تدعم مؤسسة الآغا خان العديد من المزارعين مثل كريمكول لتوسيع مشاتلهم حتى يتمكنوا بدورهم من دعم المزارعين الآخرين في هذه المنطقة النائية والجبلية.

كريمكول يزرع أرضه ، قرغيزستان. مصدر الصورة كريستوفر ويلتون ستير وشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية

في جبال بامير شرق طاجيكستان ، حضرت حفل افتتاح مركز سياحي جديد تدعمه مؤسسة الآغا خان. كجزء من جهود الإدماج الاقتصادي ، تدعم مؤسسة الآغا خان التنمية المستدامة للسياحة في المنطقة لصالح المجتمعات المحلية. الهدف هو خلق فرص عمل للسكان المحليين وتشجيع الحفاظ على التراث التاريخي والموارد الطبيعية والحياة البرية مع دعم السياح لزيارة هذه المنطقة النائية والجميلة بشكل مذهل.

وفي جبال الهيمالايا في شمال باكستان ، زرت قصر خابلو ومكثت فيه ، وهو مقر ملكي كان في السابق مقرًا لراجا خابلو. لقد سقط منذ فترة طويلة في حالة سيئة ولكن في عام 2005 تم ترميمه من قبل صندوق الآغا خان للثقافة. وفي عام 2011 أعيد افتتاح القصر كمتحف وفندق تراثي تابع لمجموعة فنادق سيرينا في عام 2011. إنه مكان رائع ورومانسي للغاية للإقامة. آمل أن أسافر إلى هناك مع زوجتي يومًا ما.

قصر خابلو ، باكستان. مصدر الصورة كريستوفر ويلتون ستير وشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية

بعض الصور التي رأيناها هي سقوف المساجد. هل شاهدت في رحلتك أماكن على الطريق التجاري كانت ذات يوم أماكن مهمة جدًا استعادها التاريخ؟

بالطبع كان لمرور الزمن وقوس التاريخ أثره. فقدت بعض المدن التي أصبحت غنية بسبب تبادل السلع والأشخاص والأفكار خلال أيام طريق الحرير أهميتها السياسية ولكنها تحتفظ بمخزن ثقافي هائل وجاذبية. أصفهان هي إحدى هذه المدن. عندما جعل الحاكم الصفوي العظيم لبلاد فارس ، الشاه عباس الأول ، أصفهان عاصمته وأعاد بنائها لتصبح واحدة من أكبر وأجمل مدن العالم في عام 1598 ، كانت لتكون واحدة من أهم المدن في العالم. كان مبعوثون من جميع الحضارات المعروفة للفرس قد سافروا إليها لتكريم. هذا ، بالطبع ، ليس هو الحال اليوم. طهران هي العاصمة السياسية.

مدينة أخرى زرتها ، وهي مدينة آني الواقعة في شرق الأناضول في تركيا والتي كانت تقع على أحد مفترقات الطرق الرئيسية لطريق الحرير ، وقد عُرفت في القرن العاشر باسم "مدينة 1001 كنيسة". اجتذبت الزوار من جميع أنحاء العالم. ومع ذلك ، فقد دمرت منذ 700 عام. الدمار الناجم عن الغزو المغولي عام 1236 وزلزال عام 1319 يعني أنه لم يتبق اليوم سوى عدد قليل من بقايا تلك المدينة. ما تبقى يروي قصة رائعة عن الماضي المسيحي في شرق الأناضول والممالك الأرمنية القوية التي حكمت هذه المنطقة ذات يوم.

تفاصيل السقف من مسجد شاه ، أصفهان. مصدر الصورة كريستوفر ويلتون ستير وشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية

أخبرنا عن تجربتك في تركمانستان وتجربتك في مدينة عشق أباد.

تقع تركمانستان على حدود إيران من الغرب وأوزبكستان من الشرق ، وهي واحدة من أقل البلدان زيارة في العالم. يعد الحصول على تأشيرة عملية طويلة وغير متوقعة ، لذلك شعرت بأنني محظوظ جدًا للحصول على تأشيرة قبل رحلتي على طريق الحرير. بعد عبور الحدود من إيران ومقابلة المرشد الذي عينته حكومتي ، مكثت في مدينة ماري ، المعروفة في العصور القديمة باسم ميرف قبل أن أتوجه إلى عشق أباد ، عاصمة تركمانستان الأخرى. إنها بالتأكيد واحدة من أكثر الأماكن السريالية التي زرتها.

أثناء قيادتنا بالسيارة إلى المدينة ، أدهشني أولاً مدى سطوعها ونظافتها. تقريبا كل مبنى مكسو بالرخام الأبيض. المدينة تغمرها العمى في ضوء الشمس. الطرق نقية والحدائق مشذبة. تزين المدينة تماثيل شاسعة وآثار مستقبلية ونوافير هائلة ، لكن بالكاد توجد روح هناك لرؤيتها. يقف الحراس صامتين للانتباه ولكن لا يوجد أي شخص تقريبًا لحماية الآثار.

خارج مباني الوزارة الحكومية الضخمة ، لا يوجد حتى مدخن في الأفق. لقد بحثت عن أثر للحياة على شرفات المباني السكنية المتجانسة اللامعة - تجفيف الغسيل أو النبات - لكن لم أجد شيئًا. عندما زرت المتحف الوطني للقيام بجولة ، كنت الزائر الوحيد.

إنه مكان غريب حقًا يجب رؤيته حتى يتم تصديقه.

عجلة فيريس ، عشق أباد ، تركمانستان. مصدر الصورة كريستوفر ويلتون ستير وشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية

قرأت أن تجربتك في زيارة قيرغيزستان كانت واحدة من الأماكن القليلة التي شعرت فيها ببرية حقيقية. هل يمكنك توضيح مشاعرك مع هذا التوقف على طول الطريق؟

كما ذكرت سابقًا ، لم أقم بزيارة قيرغيزستان من قبل ، لذلك كانت لدي هذه الفكرة في رأسي حول شكلها ، وبالطبع لم يكن الأمر كذلك. لقد أدهشتني اتساع المناظر الطبيعية. جبال بامير في طاجيكستان المجاورة أكثر حدة وجفافًا وأعلى. في قيرغيزستان النطاقات أكثر هدوءًا والوديان أكثر اتساعًا. لا يزال الكثير من الناس يعيشون حياة شبه بدوية هناك ، مما يعني أنهم يعيشون في خيام ويتنقلون مع الفصول. تأثيرها على البيئة ضئيل وسريع الزوال. لذلك في المناطق الريفية ، لا ترى الكثير من التطورات البشرية التي تفسد العديد من المناظر الطبيعية حول العالم. في بعض الأماكن ، تنتشر آلاف الخيول والأغنام والأبقار والياك والجمال في المناظر الطبيعية التي يقطنها الرجال على الخيول. لقد تحدثت إلي عن وقت عاش فيه البشر في وئام أكبر مع العالم الطبيعي. كان لهذا الشعور بالهدوء والعزلة صفة روحية بالنسبة لي.

قرية قريبة من يورتس ، قرغيزستان. مصدر الصورة كريستوفر ويلتون ستير وشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية

لقد زرت أيضًا مدينة برسيبوليس القديمة التي كانت عاصمة الإمبراطورية الأخمينية في (550-330 قبل الميلاد). على الرغم من وجود أطلال متبقية اليوم ، ما نوع التاريخ والقصص التي يمكننا سردها؟

أعتقد أن أكثر ما لفت انتباهي هو أنه على الرغم من كونهم أقوى إمبراطورية في العالم القديم ، إلا أنهم كانوا يتمتعون بهذه النظرة التعددية للغاية وأظهروا التسامح تجاه الأديان المختلفة. عندما تولى كورش الكبير العرش قال بشكل شهير إنه سيحترم تقاليد وعادات وديانات دول إمبراطوريتي ولن يدع أيًا من حكامي ومرؤوسيهم ينظرون إليهم بازدراء أو يهينونهم. سأفرض ملكي على أي أمة. كل منهم حر في قبوله ، وإذا رفضه أي منهم ، فلن أعزم على الحرب أبدًا. & # 8217

ال Tachara ، يشار إليها أيضًا باسم قصر داريوس الكبير ، مدينة برسيبوليس القديمة. مصدر الصورة كريستوفر ويلتون ستير وشبكة الآغا خان للتنمية

ما أكثر ما تتطلع إليه في معرضك الخارجي القادم في لندن؟ ما الذي تتمنى أن يسلبه الزوار منه كله؟

أنا متحمس لرؤية كل ذلك معا. لقد جاءت بذرة هذا الفكر - السفر على طريق الحرير - عندما كنت صبيا وهي تنمو منذ ذلك الحين. إن رؤيتها كلها تأتي معًا أمر مثير للغاية. آمل أنه في الوقت الذي لم نتمكن فيه من السفر أو حتى مغادرة منازلنا ، فإن هذا المعرض الخارجي سيوفر طعمًا لتجربة السفر تلك ويشجع الناس على الزيارة ومعرفة المزيد عن بعض الأشخاص والأماكن والثقافات على طول طريق الحرير عندما نتمكن من السفر مرة أخرى. آمل أيضًا أن ينقل المعرض إحساس الفضول والرهبة والتساؤل الذي شعرت به في رحلتي وأن يشعر الزوار بإحساس بالارتباط بين الثقافات المختلفة التي تقع تحت السطح. أود أن يحتفل المعرض بالاختلافات وأن يسلط الضوء على المعتقدات والقيم المشتركة بيننا.

طريق الحرير: تاريخ حي | 8 أبريل - 16 سبتمبر 2021
ساحة جراناري ، كينجز كروس ، لندن ، N1
www.wilton-photography.com/
www.akdn.org/our-agencies/aga-khan-foundation
www.akf.org.uk/

كريستوفر ويلتون ستير، مواليد 1983 ، هو مصور سفر مقيم في لندن. يأخذه عمله المهني والشخصي إلى مواقع نائية في جميع أنحاء إفريقيا وآسيا والشرق الأوسط. من خلال التصوير الفوتوغرافي ، يهتم باستكشاف أجزاء من العالم أقل توثيقًا جيدًا والتي غالبًا ما يُساء فهمها في محاولة للمساعدة في إزالة الغموض عنها وبناء جسور الاهتمام والتفاهم بين الثقافات المختلفة. في نهاية المطاف ، يتمنى أن تشجع صوره الآخرين على السير في الطريق الذي لا يسير فيه السفر والاستكشاف والتجربة والتعرف على أماكن وأشخاص وثقافات جديدة.

ظهرت أعماله في المجلات والصحف في جميع أنحاء العالم بما في ذلك ناشيونال جيوغرافيك, الحارس, سي إن إن, الأوقات المالية، و دير شبيجل من بين أمور أخرى. أقام معرضه الأول في المعهد الفرنسي في أنتاناناريفو ، مدغشقر ، في نوفمبر 2016. معرض ويلتون ستير الثاني - حرفيو الدرب الأحمر: الحياة والعمل في القاهرة التاريخية - تم عرضه في الجمعية الجغرافية الملكية بلندن في أبريل 2018. وقد عُرض المعرض نفسه في دار الأعمال الخيرية في بروكسل بين يناير وأبريل 2019 وسيتجول في أوتاوا وتورنتو وفانكوفر في عام 2021. عمل ويلتون ستير رئيسًا للاتصالات في شركة Aga مؤسسة خان (المملكة المتحدة) منذ عام 2013 ، قبل أدوارها في Random House China و Brandhouse في المملكة المتحدة.

حول مؤسسة الآغا خان
تسعى مؤسسة الآغا خان إلى تحسين نوعية الحياة وتعزيز التعددية وتعزيز الاعتماد على الذات في المجتمعات الفقيرة والمهمشة في إفريقيا وآسيا والشرق الأوسط. تسعى مؤسسة الآغا خان جاهدة لتعزيز الزراعة والأمن الغذائي ، وتعزيز تنمية الطفولة المبكرة والوصول إلى التعليم الجيد ، وتحسين الصحة والتغذية ، وتعزيز الإدماج الاقتصادي ، وتقوية المجتمع المدني.

من خلال العمل بالشراكة مع المجتمعات والحكومات وغيرها ، لأكثر من 50 عامًا ، نجح نهج مؤسسة الآغا خان طويل الأجل القائم على المجتمع في التعامل مع الأشخاص من جميع الأديان والخلفيات وإفادةهم ، وخاصة النساء والفتيات ، وذلك باستخدام نهج متجذر محليًا ولكنه على علم عالمي. . تعمل مؤسسة الآغا خان في 20 دولة ، وهي عضو في شبكة الآغا خان للتنمية ، إحدى منظمات التنمية الدولية الرائدة في العالم.

لاكتشاف المزيد من المحتوى الحصري لإصداراتنا المطبوعة والرقمية ، اشترك هنا لتلقي نسخة من The London Magazine إلى باب منزلك كل شهرين ، مع الاستمتاع أيضًا بالوصول الكامل إلى أرشيفنا الرقمي الشامل للمقالات والصحافة الأدبية والخيال والشعر.


مترو أنفاق لندن: تاريخ العالم & # 8217s أقدم سكة حديد تحت الأرض

ساعة الذروة في لندن هي قضية محمومة ، فلماذا لا تأخذ وقتًا طويلاً لاستكشاف تاريخ أقدم وأشهر شبكة مترو أنفاق في العالم؟

كلمات كريس بانلاند

إن خط سكة حديد L ondon لمترو الأنفاق ليس فقط أقدم نظام من نوعه ، ولكنه أيضًا الأكثر شهرة في العالم. يسافر "تيوب" ، كما هو معروف أيضًا ، جغرافيًا ومجازيًا في قلب لندن ، عبر تربتها وروحها. أكثر من مجرد وسيلة للتجول في العاصمة ، فهي أيضًا رمز للمدينة.

متى تم بناء مترو أنفاق لندن؟

افتتح الخط الأول من بادينجتون إلى فارينجدون عام 1863. كان من بنات أفكار تشارلز بيرسون ، الذي ربما يستحق نفس المستوى من الشهرة مثل عبقري السكك الحديدية الفيكتوري الآخر ، إيزامبارد كينجدوم برونيل. كان النفق عبارة عن قضية قطع وتغطية حيث تم كشط الأرض ثم وضع الجزء العلوي مرة أخرى حتى يمر الشارع. ركضت القطارات أسفل السطح مباشرة ، وحتى اليوم ، إذا كنت في أقبية بالقرب من الخط ، يمكنك أن تشعر بضجيج القطارات تحت قدميك. كانت تلك القطارات الأصلية ، بشكل لا يصدق ، مدفوعة بالبخار - الهواء الثقيل والرائحة الكريهة ستبتلع الأنفاق. كانت النقطة الأصلية لسكة حديد العاصمة هذه هي ربط الخط الرئيسي للسكك الحديدية في لندن والذي يمتد إلى الشمال - يوستون ، وسانت بانكراس ، وكينغز كروس - ثم المضي قدمًا نحو المدينة للسماح للركاب بالوصول إلى أماكن عملهم.

متى كانت أول قطارات كهربائية؟

اتبعت القطارات الكهربائية وكذلك الأنفاق العميقة "الأنبوبية" التي حصل النظام منها على لقبه. كانت City و South London هي الأولى من نوعها ، حيث كانت تسير من Bank Down نحو Stockwell في جنوب لندن ومرورًا بأمان أسفل نهر التايمز. عند المنعطف
في القرن العشرين ، جاء الممول الأمريكي تشارلز يركيس إلى لندن ليضع بصمته على النظام ، حيث قام بتجميع بعض الشركات الخاصة التي تدير خطوطًا في شركة Underground Electric Railways في لندن.

في الثلاثينيات من القرن الماضي ، استحوذت شركة London Transport على المسؤولية - وهي منظمة عامة ستدير وتدير النظام بأكمله لصالح سكان لندن بدلاً من الربح ، ويستمر هذا الترتيب حتى يومنا هذا. تم التوسع الهائل تحت قيادة فرانك بيك ، مع محطات خط بيكاديللي وسنترال ومتروبوليتان الجديدة لخدمة (وفي بعض الحالات إنشاء) ضواحي جديدة. وسعت تيوب من نطاق وصول المدينة - حتى أن الضواحي الشمالية الغربية الجديدة في المقاطعات المتاخمة لباكينجهامشير وميدلسكس وهيرتفوردشاير تم تسميتها "مترو لاند".

من صمم خريطة مترو أنفاق لندن؟

أصبح التصميم وسيلة لتوحيد الأنبوب وعلامته التجارية لعالم حديث. صمم تشارلز هولدن العديد من المحطات الجديدة ، بما في ذلك ساوثجيت الساحرة مع منحوتة الموصل الكهربائي على السطح ، والخطوط الخرسانية النظيفة لـ Cockfosters ، قبل 30 عامًا من وقتها. العديد من محطات مترو الأنفاق الأخرى ، بما في ذلك Piccadilly Circus و Baker Street ، هي كلاسيكيات التصميم ومحمية كمباني مدرجة. صمم كبار الفنانين في ذلك العصر ملصقات لمواصلات لندن ، مثل مان راي - الذي ظهرت رؤيته لشعار LT ككوكب لأول مرة في عام 1938. وفي الوقت نفسه ، كان هاري بيك رسامًا كهربائيًا ابتكر الخطوط النظيفة والبسيطة لقطار الأنفاق الشهير. التي صدرت عام 1933.

الحرب العالمية الثانية ومترو لندن

The Tube was also where Cockneys sheltered from the Luftwaffe’s bombs during the Second World War. In the 1960s the Victoria Line was built as a fast, automated new line through London and, in 1999, the Jubilee Line extension opened, giving the city a high-tech Tube line that stretched east into Docklands and featured an array of architecturally interesting new stations, such as the ones at West Ham and Bermondsey.

Today, 1.34 billion journeys are made annually on the London Underground’s 402km of track. Every day you’ll find it packed with commuters during the morning and evening rush hours – more than 95 million passengers use Waterloo Station every year alone. But the beauty of the system remains – if you look for it.

London Transport Museum

A great place to do this is at the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden, where you can see vintage carriages, posters and paraphernalia, before taking tea in the café on seats upholstered with retro Tube seat fabric. The London Transport Museum Depot in Acton, meanwhile, also hosts two open weekends every year, in March and September, during which fascinating artefacts and old trains can be glimpsed.

Harry Beck’s Underground Map. Credit: TFL from the London Transport Museum Collection


History of the Tower of London

The Tower of London is one of the capital’s most iconic landmarks Credit: iStock

One of London’s most striking landmarks is a medieval castle on the banks of the Thames that has existed here in some form since the year William the Conqueror defeated the English King Harold at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. Knowing he had to secure England’s most powerful city, William ensured he secured a foothold in London by sending an advance guard to construct a fortress from where he could begin his triumphant reign.

Following William’s coronation on Christmas Day at Westminster Abbey in 1066, several strongholds were constructed to protect him against the angry population, with one in the south-east corner of the Roman city on the site of the future Tower of London. These early defences would soon be replaced with a great stone tower in the 1080s – the White Tower – a beacon of the Norman monarch’s supremacy and oppression.

Constructed of Caen stone from William’s native Normandy, the mighty Tower was like no other. It was 118ft x 106ft (36m x 32.5m) across, and 90ft (27.5m) tall on its south side. The Tower dominated the skyline and was protected by Roman walls on two sides, ditches to the north and west up to 25ft (7.5m) wide and 11ft (3.4m) deep. Its primary function was not as a royal residence, although many kings and queens stayed at the Tower. Nor was it the first line of defence against invading armies, though it was more than capable of being so.

By 1100, the castle was being used as a prison, with the first prisoner Ranulf Flambard, who had served William, aiding him in the compilation of the Domesday Book and serving his successor Rufus, before being imprisoned by King Henry I who blamed him for the state of the nation’s finances. Flambard made a daring escape to Normandy and over the years various noblemen were successful in either escaping or bribing the guards at the Tower.

Under the reign of King Richard I (r. 1189-99) further fortifications began. Departing for the Crusades, Richard left the Tower in the hands of his chancellor William Longchamp, Bishop of Ely, who doubled the Tower’s defences. It was a sensible step as Richard’s brother John soon mounted an attack, overcoming the Tower’s formidable walls only after Longchamp ran out of supplies.

On his return to England in 1194, Richard retook the Tower from his regretful brother, who, after begging forgiveness for his treachery, was later named his successor. John’s reign was characterised by political instability, and following his death, John’s son King Henry III succeeded to the throne at the tender age of nine. The boy king’s regents oversaw the building of two new towers and later, seeking refuge from angry barons in the Tower in 1238, Henry decided to further strengthen the castle, building a stupendous curtain wall on the north, east and western sides, reinforced by nine towers and a moat.

Londoners, alarmed at the ever-expanding Tower and the dominance of the monarchy that it represented, were relieved to see a newly built section of the wall collapse near to the Beauchamp Tower. Many believed their guardian angel Thomas Becket – the murdered Archbishop of Canterbury who had carried out repairs at the Tower – had answered their prayers.

In 1258, barons led by Simon de Montfort demanded a reform on the way the country was governed, which led to civil war. De Montfort, a French nobleman, had married the King’s sister Eleanor. But after a bitter family dispute over money, Henry III had threatened to imprison him in the Tower of London. Simon departed first on the Crusades and then to France, returning at the invitation of the rebellious barons. He led the revolt against the King and was declared de facto leader of England from 1263 to 1264 after Henry III surrendered the Tower to him.

Henry’s son King Edward I, in an effort to defeat his father’s rebels, vowed to complete his father’s defensive works, and between 1275 and 1285 he spent a hefty £21,000 transforming the Tower, including adding the infamous Traitor’s Gate. He also began to use the Tower as a secure storage place for official papers and valuables, establishing the Royal Mint here – it would remain here until 1812 – while it also became home to much of the monarch’s jewellery from 1303 after pieces were stolen from Westminster Abbey. The monarch’s crown, orb and sceptres remained stored at Westminster until 1649.

The Tower has been the scene of some of history’s most brutal encounters. In 1381 10,000 rebels under Wat Tyler burned and pillaged the capital and an unarmed mob forced their way into the Tower. Simon of Sudbury, the Archbishop of Canterbury, was one of those dragged out and murdered on Tower Hill during the Peasants’ Revolt. His body was later buried in Canterbury Cathedral.

In 1483 the sons of King Edward IV, 12-year-old Edward V and his younger brother Richard, were sent to the Tower by their uncle, the Duke of Gloucester. They had been declared illegitimate when the Duke was crowned King Richard III. The princes were never seen again, and popular myth sees king-in-waiting Richard III as their executioner. Two skeletons discovered in front of the White Tower in 1674, and examined in 1933 were found to be those of two boys, aged about 10 and 12. A plaque commemorating the princes marks the site today.

In Tudor times, the Tower was a vital meeting point for kings and queens, and in 1485, King Henry VII founded the now iconic Yeomen Warders, the ceremonial guards of the Tower. They are known as ‘Beefeaters’ due to their position in the Royal Bodyguard, which allowed them to eat as much beef as they wanted from the king’s table.

Perhaps mostly famously, two of King Henry VIII’s wives were executed at the Tower. This included his second wife Anne Boleyn, who was taken to the Tower under charges of treason and beheaded on Tower Green in 1536 by a swordsman brought specially from France. Six years later, Henry’s fifth wife Catherine Howard followed, sentenced to death for adultery in 1542.

After the Reformation under King Henry VIII, his daughter ‘Bloody’ Queen Mary I (r. 1553-8) returned the country to Catholicism and her short reign saw many Protestant figures imprisoned at the Tower. One of these was Lady Jane Grey, ‘the Nine Days’ Queen’, who was executed at the Tower on the Queen’s orders and Princess Elizabeth, the Queen’s half-sister was imprisoned there (before later becoming Queen Elizabeth I).

One date that no one in England will ever forget is 5 November 1605, the evening of the Gunpowder plot led by the Catholic Guy Fawkes. His failed attempts to blow up King James I and Parliament saw him taken to the Tower where he was tortured and later hung and quartered at Old Palace Yard, Westminster.

King Charles I’s reign (r. 1625-49) ended in a long and bloody civil war (1642-9) which left its mark on the Tower, and in particular, the Crown Jewels. Following King Charles I’s execution in 1649, orders were given to destroy the Crown Jewels. Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector from 1653, installed the Tower’s first permanent garrison. Under the restored monarchy, the Tower became the base of the Office of Ordnance, which provided military equipment while a new Crown Jewels went on display.

With such royal treasures on offer, it was little surprise that this would incite thieves to strike. In 1671 a Colonel by the name of Thomas Blood and his gang overpowered an elderly jewel housekeeper, tied him up, beat and stabbed him before crushing the Imperial State Crown and hiding it under his cloak. Blood and his gang were arrested and, strangely, pardoned by a merciful King Charles II.

In 1841, a fire ripped through the Tower, destroying the Grand Storehouse that was subsequently rebuilt by the then Constable of the Tower, the Duke of Wellington.

Over the years The Tower has served variously as a prison, an armoury, a treasury, the Royal Mint, a public records office, as well as home to the Jewels. Perhaps less well-known is that it also served as a menagerie. King John is believed to be the first king to keep lions and other exotic animals there, while in 1251 a polar bear was acquired. The Tower Menagerie was closed in 1835 with the animals transferred to the new London Zoo.

Today’s iconic medieval appearance is in part thanks to England’s 19th-century fascination with such bloody periods of history. Gothic revival architect Anthony Salvin transformed the Beauchamp Tower, refaced the exterior walls and replaced battlements. He made improvements to the Salt Tower and Wakefield Tower, building a bridge between it and St Thomas’s Tower.

Visitors today can see the Coronation spoon, the Sovereign’s sceptre with cross and its 530.2 carat Great Star of Africa diamond, as well as the Imperial State Crown made in 1937, and the solid gold St Edward’s Crown.

The last hanging took place on Tower Hill in 1780 and a number of high-profile prisoners were locked in the Tower including Second World War prisoners – the most notorious being Rudolf Hess, albeit for four days only.

Finally, a Gothic tale is that of the Tower ravens who have been protected since the time of Charles II and legend says the kingdom and the Tower will fall if the six resident ravens ever leave the fortress. Given that it has stood for almost 1,000 years, it would take one mighty army.


The London Graveyard That’s Become a Memorial for the City’s Seedier Past

London’s first red light district was on the south side of the River Thames, in the marshy, damp soils of the borough known as Southwark. There, in lands outside official London city limits, taverns, theaters, brothels and bear-baiting “amuseuments” flourished as popular forms of entertainment during the Medieval era. Today, the South Bank is known for gleaming office towers, and well-appointed cocktails bars and gastropubs, as tourists flock to the Tate Modern museum in a repurposed power station, take in Shakespeare at the Globe Theatre and admire the South Bank’s redevelopment. But the seamier side of Southwark history is recognized there too, in a small lot at the corner of Redcross Way. 

المحتوى ذو الصلة

Though rusted, the iron gates surrounding Cross Bones graveyard are festooned with ribbons, feathers, beads and other tokens commemorating those buried there. A plaque honoring “The Outcast Dead” was added in 2006, a more permanent version of a plaque said to have originally been placed on the gates by a group of Londoners in 1998. And every year since then, right around Halloween, these Southwark pilgrims re-enact a ritual drama to remember those whose final resting place is in Cross Bones, particularly the many prostitutes who are said to have been buried there during the Middle Ages.

Southwark’s association with prostitution goes back to the first century AD, when invading Roman soldiers used the area as a home base. Whorehouses operated in the area for centuries, through the Viking era and the Crusades, and became especially popular after the 12th-century construction of a permanent London Bridge brought a steady stream of commerce to the area’s taverns. By then, Southwark was controlled by the Bishop of Winchester, one of the oldest, richest and most important diocese in England. Among other powers, the Bishop had the right to license and tax the borough’s prostitutes, who were derisively known as “Winchester Geese,” perhaps after their custom of baring their white breasts to entice customers. To be “bitten by a Winchester Goose” was to contract a sexually transmitted disease, likely syphilis or gonorrhea. 

Southwark’s brothels—which numbered between a handful and 18, depending on the year—were known as “the stews,” and survived for centuries despite repeated attempts from the royal throne to close them down. The crown also tried controlling the brothels through regulation: In 1161, Henry II laid down 39 rules known as the "Ordinances Touching the Government of the Stewholders in Southwark Under the Direction of the Bishop of Winchester." The rules made sure the prostitutes were able to come and go at will, required that all new workers were registered, restricted their activities on religious holidays, prevented nuns and married women from joining, banned cursing, and prohibited the women from taking their own lovers for free. The penalty for the latter included fines, prison time, a dip on the “cucking stool” into raw sewage, and banishment from Southwark.

Although the Bishop of Winchester regulated and taxed the area’s prostitutes, Christian doctrine prevented them from being buried in consecrated ground. The first likely reference to Cross Bones as a cemetery for Southwark’s “geese” comes from Tudor historian John Stow, who wrote in his 1598 Survey of London: “I have heard of ancient men, of good credit, report, that these single women were forbidden the rites of the church, so long as they continued that sinful life, and were excluded from Christian burial, if they were not reconciled before their death. And therefore there was a plot of ground called the Single Woman’s churchyard, appointed for them far from the parish church.” 

“The stews” closed in the 17th century, and by the dawn of the Victorian era, Southwark was one of the worst slums in London, dense with crime and cholera, a place even policeman feared to tread. Cross Bones was repurposed into a pauper’s graveyard that served the parish of St. Saviour’s. In 1833, the antiquarian William Taylor wrote: “There is an unconsecrated burial ground known as the Cross Bones at the corner of Redcross Street, formerly called the Single Woman's burial ground, which is said to have been used for this purpose.” The area’s inhabitants led miserable lives, and suffered indignities even after death: Cross Bones was a favorite hunting ground for the bodysnatchers who unearthed corpses for use in anatomy classes at Southwark’s Guy's Hospital, among other places.

After the public complained that the overcrowded cemetery offended public health and decency, Cross Bones was closed in 1853 on the grounds that it was “completely overcharged with dead.” An 1832 letter from parish authorities had noted the ground was “so very full of coffins that it is necessary to bury within two feet of the surface,” and that “the effluviem is so very offensive that we fear the consequences may be very injurious to the surrounding neighborhood.” (At the time, people feared the city’s burgeoning population of foul-smelling corpses was partly responsible for the city’s cholera epidemic. The true culprit, the water supply, was discovered later.)  The land was sold for development 30 years later, but the sale declared void under the Disused Burial Grounds Act of 1884. Locals resisted further attempts at development, although the land was briefly used as a fairground, until complaints about the showmen’s “steam organs and noisy music” became overwhelming. 

The cemetery was more or less forgotten about until the 1990s, when the London Underground needed to build an electricity substation for the Jubilee Line extension on the site. Museum of London archeologists knew the land contained an old burial ground, and asked permission to excavate a small portion of the cemetery. They were given six weeks to complete the dig, in which they removed 148 skeletons from the top layers of the soil by their estimate, less than one percent of the bodies packed beneath the ground. More than half of the skeletons the archeologists unearthed were from children, reflecting the high rates of infant mortality in that section of London during the 19th century, when Cross Bones served as a pauper’s cemetery. The scarred bones, encased in cheap coffins, showed that disease—including scurvy, syphilis and rickets—was rife. And the other 99 percent who remain underground? Their secrets will probably stay buried for generations more.


London's foundation

The city of London was founded by the Romans and their rule extended from 43 AD to the fifth century AD, when the Empire fell. During the third century, Londinium, the name given to the town by the Romans, had a population of 50,000, mainly due to the influence of its major port.

As a consequence of repeated Anglo-Saxon invasions during the fifth century, Londinium declined and during the eighth century it became the capital of the Kingdom of Essex.

During the ninth century, the town suffered numerous Viking attacks. As a consequence, Danish settlers established themselves in the area, encouraging trade and opening businesses in the town, transforming it into the first urban centre of England. The town’s wealth and power attracted the Danish Great Heathen Army, which besieged the city until it was captured by King Alfred the Great in 886.

In 1067, following the Norman invasion and conquering of England, the city's existing rights, laws and privileges were established by the newly crowned King of England, William Duke of Normandy. The Tower of London was built during William's reign.

In 1199, King John reinforced the city's self-government, and in 1215 the city could elect a different mayor every year.

For many years, England had no capital city. However, the institutions of central government were moved to Westminster, close to London. This and the rise of trade in the area were two decisive factors in London's emergence as the capital of England.


This London Building Tells the Story of a Century’s Worth of Disease and Epidemics

Coming down with an infectious disease in early 1900s London would have been a pretty unsettling experience. Not only were effective treatments hard to come by, but the municipality had the legal right to enter your home and disinfect it. City workers could seize your belongings and take them away for steam cleaning, all in the name of public health. Yet these precautions were not draconian or even heartless: If this process rendered you homeless, you would be offered overnight accommodation in a comfortable, modern one-bedroom apartment alongside the building where your possessions were being sanitized.

Measures to contain today’s pandemic, such as stay-at-home orders and compulsory mask wearing, may feel to some like an unwelcome intrusion by the state into their daily lives. At the Hackney Borough Council Disinfecting Station, however, anti-disease actions were more of a public amenity, a way to keep the public healthy and a cohesive unit

The local government that oversaw the disinfecting station, the Metropolitan Borough of Hackney (MBH) in northeast London, came into being in 1899 as part of the London Government Act. The culmination of a series of legislative changes that began in 1855, the law brought a major reorganization and standardization to local government in the British capital. Formerly a civic parish in Middlesex, a county bordering the City of London (an area with its own jurisdiction), Hackney’s ancient boundaries did not change much when it became a metropolitan borough of the new ‘County of London’. But the way the area was governed did, reflecting the expansion of the capital into what were once its leafy suburbs.

Home to a largely working-class population living in often terribly overcrowded dwellings, Hackney was subject during this period to frequent outbreaks of infectious diseases such as smallpox, diphtheria, scarlet fever, measles and whooping cough. Though public health outcomes were much improved by 19th-century investment in sanitation infrastructure and hygiene procedures, Britons were still dying from infectious diseases in high numbers, with children at particular risk. In 1899, the year the MBH was created, 116 Hackney residents died of the measles, 115 of them children under the age of 15. All 47 of the borough’s whooping cough deaths were in children, and a further 252 died from diphtheria. Infant mortality (deaths of children under the age of 1) was 165 per 1,000 live births. To put this context, in 2018, the figure was 4 per 1,000.

Public health disinfecting station on Millfields Row, circa 1912 (Hackney Archives, Libraries and Heritage Services)

“If you survived, it was very common for you to have had at least one of those diseases in your childhood. And as much as the mortality that's important, it's also the morbidity. There was a lot of sickness around,” says Graham Mooney, a historian of medicine at Johns Hopkins University. “They were fairly common diseases but it doesn't mean to say they weren't devastating, or they didn't actually have a big emotional and practical toll on people's lives, because they did.”

Local authorities had been disinfecting domestic premises and articles of clothing and bedding in England since at least 1866, when the government introduced a law that required them to administer disinfection equipment. The practice was widespread across the country but provisions varied widely and Hackney’s operation was a modest one. By 1892, a municipal sanitary committee denounced it as “thoroughly and dangerously inefficient for the requirements of the District.”

A dedicated facility opened in 1893, complete with modern steam disinfecting equipment, but Hackney’s medical officer for health, John King Warry, didn’t stop there. Backed up by new national legislation that permitted his team to spend what it liked to cleanse people and premises “infested with vermin”, he campaigned for the creation of a state-of-the-art disinfecting and disinfesting station that included accommodation for whoever required it.

The result of King Warry’s efforts, a three-building complex completed in 1901 at a cost of just under 㾶,000 (around ٟ.25 million today), was used for decades. A groundplan of the building held by Hackney Archives, the official repository for the historic records of the MBH and its successor, Hackney London Borough Council, shows ‘Infected’ and ‘Disinfected’ rooms connected by a large boiler, a workshop, bathrooms for men and women, a laundry, ironing room and drying room, as well as stables and cart sheds. Infected people and their possessions would enter the station from one side, move through the process of steam disinfection and exit out the other side. Metal hoppers in which people would have placed their infested clothes before taking a sulphur bath to treat their scabies could be found in the men’s and women’s bathrooms.

“One of the concerns was that if people were ill with infection, in order to make sure that they didn't pass on the infection, cleaning and disinfecting and cleansing, both where they lived, and the things that they owned and had contact with, was a way of eradicating germs,” says Mooney.

“So a lot of health authorities, as well as having isolation hospitals, they would build these disinfection stations that perform that disinfecting ritual. These sorts of places were really common and they were a very important part of how Victorian and Edwardian local authorities responded to outbreaks,” he adds.

Disinfection killed the germs associated with diseases, as well as common vermin like lice, fleas, bed bugs and cockroaches. (Hackney Archives, Libraries and Heritage Services)

Changes to the station over the years track advances in public health strategy.

Sending teams of government employees out to disinfect and disinfest homes across the borough was always a significant part of local medical officers’ work. In 1902, the station’s first full year of its operation, 2,838 rooms were fumigated, with 1,009 of these having their walls stripped of paper and washed with carbolic solution. That same year, 24,226 articles of furniture, bedding and clothing were disinfected at the station, all according to the annual report of Hackney’s health department, available online as part of the digital archives of the Wellcome Collection.

The shelter house itself was little used, despite the busyness of the rest of the complex. In 1902, only 97 people stayed overnight, and by 1905 the borough was having to advertise the existence of the apartments. From the 1930s onward, demand was so low that the shelter house was turned into staff accommodation for people working in the department of the medical officer of health. In all likelihood, says Tim Walder, a conservation and design officer at Hackney Council, who studied the station in 2015, its schedule of disinfection and disinfestation rendered overnight stays mostly unnecessary. After all, even the most comprehensive fumigation process only takes a couple of hours.

One might expect the station to have been in greater demand than usual during the 1918 flu pandemic, but this was not the case. Though 698 people died of flu in Hackney that year, up from just 28 in 1917, the number of rooms fumigated and items disinfected actually fell, from 1,988 and 12,626 respectively in 1917 to 1,347 and 11,491 the following year. The reason interventions by the station fell rather than rose, suggests Andrea Tanner in her article “The Spanish Lady Comes to London: the Influenza Pandemic 1918�,” is that the government of the day encouraged local authorities to “concentrate their activities on providing nursing services and home helps” rather than disinfection measures. It did so, Tanner suggests, because experience from the prior flu pandemic of 1889-92 showed that sanitary measures were largely ineffective. In addition to that, the war effort meant that many of the staff that would have been required for disinfection had been called up for military or civilian service.

In the 1930s, as infectious diseases became less virulent and more treatable thanks to a combination of vaccines and antibiotics, the complex shifted to house citizens displaced by clearing out slums. A film produced by the borough’s public health department in 1935 on its slum clearance and re-housing program shows tightly packed terraces of run-down homes with rickety rear additions and broken windows and fences. Inside, rooms are narrow and low ceilinged, and mold proliferates. Later in the film, footage reveals the new apartment blocks that the local authority built to replace the slums: Towering above the older housing stock around them, they are tidy, with large windows and balconies.

“You were removed from your slum, which the council was demolishing to build lovely new [government] housing, and they wanted to make sure that you didn't take your vermin with you,” says Walder. In 1934, the local authority built a drive-in fumigation and airing shed at the Hackney station with a capacity of 3,400 cubic feet, large enough to fit an entire removal truck containing the “holding the effects of one to three families”, according to the 1936 report. Fitted with an enormous sliding door lined with zinc, the chamber had a roof of reinforced concrete covered with asphalt.

The shed still survives today, its utilitarian design at odds with the pleasing aesthetics of the earlier architecture. It’s here where the story takes on a disquieting tone. Large enough to disinfest entire trucks loaded up with furniture, the sheds used Zyklon B to produce hydrogen cyanide gas, the same chemical used by the Nazis in their death camps. As Walder wrote in his report on the building, “the use of Zyklon B in 1930s Hackney was for genuine, if paternalistic, public health reasons (to destroy vermin).

“This innocent use of the chemical was widespread on contemporary continental Europe. The evil came when this innocent use was perverted for sinister purposes through a political process which equated certain groups of people with vermin.”

A worker sprays disinfectant and prepares to remove bedding for steam disinfection at the Millfields Station in 1951. (Hackney Archives, Libraries and Heritage Services)

The disinfecting station’s other roles over the years included disinfecting library books (as many as 4,348 a year in the 1960s) to help prevent outbreaks of disease between households and, during World War II, treating civil defense personnel suffering with scabies.

The station continued operations until 1984, disinfecting second-hand clothing prior to export sales abroad on the one hand, and treating headlice on the other. Its decline was inevitable, says Martin Gorsky, a professor in the history of public health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, a consequence of vastly improved health outcomes—“vaccines were in, infant mortality was solved”—and the founding of the National Health Service in 1948, which took power away from local authorities. “The modern safe public health hygienic environment was in place,” he says.

Today, it can be found tucked between a waste depot and an electricity substation close to Hackney’s eastern boundary. Out of use since the mid-1980s, the “rare and complete survival of a purpose-built disinfecting station” has long been deemed at-risk by Historic England, the public body charged with protecting the country’s historic buildings.

Walder was asked to report on the state of the disinfecting station soon after taking on the role of principal conservation and design officer for Hackney Council. “Some of the doors hadn't been opened for a very long time. I had to get a man with a crowbar to open some of them,” says Walder.

As Walder wandered through the loosely Arts and Crafts-style building, he came upon disinfection and fumigation machinery dating from throughout the life of the station. A control panel located between two disinfectors bears a plaque from an engineering company more than 120 miles away in Nottingham.

It took quite some time to get to the bottom of it all, he says. “Some of it was old and we didn't really know what we were looking at. Also the building's been altered - it wasn't always clear what was original or later, what was interesting and what was less interesting.”

Walder pieced it together after poring over documents held by Hackney Archives, Wellcome Collection, London Metropolitan Archives and the library of the Royal Institute of British Architects, as well as consulting with experts at groups including Historic England, the Victorian Society and the Greater London Industrial Archaeology Society.

Across the yard from the station sit a three-bedroom Caretaker’s Lodge and a Shelter House, which comprises four almost identical one-bedroom apartments. Now the headquarters of a literacy charity and home to live-in guardians, respectively, these buildings remained in fairly good condition.

The same can’t be said of the disinfectant station itself, unfortunately, unsurprising given that it had been out of use for nearly 40 years. That said, the scale and ambition of the place are still clear to see. Compared to other disinfecting stations built during this period, mostly alongside hospitals, orphanages and the like (none of which survive today, as far as Walder can gather), the Hackney site was “particularly big and elaborate and expensive”, says the officer.

“You might expect something industrial and plain but it's not: it's got ornamental leadwork and rather fancy Portland stone,” says Walder.

The site has its roots in late Victorian municipal concerns about the health and hygiene of Hackney’s population. (Hackney Archives, Libraries and Heritage Services)

In the fall of 2020, Hackney Council announced, based on Walder’s report, that it would be mothballing the station in the hope of safeguarding it for the future. The roof and guttering will be repaired to stop any more water getting in, the windows and doors will be boarded up and any internal pipes that once held noxious chemicals will be drained.

Walder’s hunch is that the site was a “prestige project” for the borough, “a kind of municipal showing off” in the form of what looks to be the first public building built since creation of the MBH in 1899. King Warry’s annual report for 1900, in which he states that, “Hackney will be the most completely equipped district in London for dealing with infectious and contagious disease,” certainly supports Walder’s theory.

“Public health, because it was part of local governments, became part of local government politics as well,” says Gorsky. “It was an area of tax and spend. There were things that were put on the agenda because electorates might like them.”

Grand public baths, for people who didn’t have bathing facilities at home, were another example of this type of spending by municipalities serving economically disadvantaged communities, adds Gorsky. The Hackney Disinfecting Station would have served a similar purpose.

Walder would one day like to see the Disinfecting Station turned into workshops or offices, along with a foyer display to illustrate the history of the site. “I can't see a situation where it became the National Museum of Disinfecting Stations because there's only one and it's in such an out of the way place,” he adds with a smile.

When Walder was writing his report on the building for the council, he recalls that “it felt terribly abstract, like something from another age.” The events of the last year have changed all that: “Now it really feels close to home.”


شاهد الفيديو: n Dramatiese wegtrek vir die Voetspore-span deur SARIE Tydskrif